For walking Dartmouth and the South Hams offers some of the finest coastal and country scenery in the UK.
We have plenty of safe parking in our driveway so your car can be left throughout your stay if you so wish. Damp kit and soggy boots can be dried out in our utility room overnight.
The South West Coast Path – Britain’s longest trail offering 630 miles of superb coastal walking. It is the best way to enjoy the wonderful coastal scenery, wildlife and heritage of the region.
Downton Lodge is conveniently located for walking in Dartmouth situated close to the South West Coast Path giving ready access to several half-day or full-day walks.
- From Dartmouth itself explore coves, castles, glorious cliff-top views and the beautiful river Dart.
- As well as its scenic estuary setting, Kingswear (opposite Dartmouth and easily accessible via ferry) is also blessed with some superb coastal and country landscapes nearby.
- A short drive to the west and you can enjoy a spectacular section of coastline with great views over Start Bay, Slapton Ley and Blackpool Sands.
The Dart Valley Trail
- Classic river and estuary landscapes of one of Devon’s most beautiful valleys.
- The Dart Valley Trail is some 16 miles long and takes in both sides of the River Dart.
- The Greenway to Kinsgwear section is 4.5 miles long and goes through ancient woodland alongside the river – it’s a lovely walk, with some stunning views…and lots of wildlife.
- Ferries at Dartmouth, Dittisham and Totnes cater for the completion of a circular route with a difference.
The John Musgrave Heritage Trail
- This trail takes in a large section of south Devon’s scenic and varied landscape and links the Dart Valley Trail, Torbay Totnes Trail, Torbay Dart Link and South West Coast Path with new sections of path to create one complete route.
- The route explores over 40 of South Devon’s finest heritage features and is suitable for all types of walker, from the gentle stroller to the experienced rambler.
- In just a few footsteps the route moves from urban life to rural landscape, and takes in woodland, farmland, Country Park and coastline.
South Devon Walking Festival
Now an annual event held over several days each autumn, the guided walking programme focuses on the dramatic coast, estuaries, and countryside, with a variety of themes from history and archaeology, to wildlife and local food. Follow the link for dates and further information.
A programme of guided walking in Dartmouth and Kingswear, designed to help and improve people’s health and well-being. Walks have been designed to suit different abilities, from gentle level strolls around town to more challenging coastal path walks.
No need to book – just turn up at the meeting point. You will be met by a trained volunteer leader. Click the link to go to the main website then navigate to the Dartmouth page for the local programme and contact information.
We are also just a short journey from dramatic Dartmoor, where you are spoilt for choice by the many varied walking opportunities, from open moorland to picturesque river valleys.
South Devon AONB – has over 30 downloadable walks and trails in South Devon.
Please call Martin and Andrew on 01803 722252 to discuss your requirements.
“Great location. Friendly, welcoming hosts. They have thought of everything. Comfortable room with a view! Great breakfasts. Don’t want to leave!”
Paula and David, Burley-in-Wharfedale
For the best rates book direct with Downton Lodge
call us on 01803 722252 / Mob: 07860 725188 or send us an enquiry
“Still the best B&B in the South Hams”
Chris and Lesley, Tewkesbury
“Great B&B. A real find. Ideal location and wonderful hosts”
Richard and Rhonwen, Bidford-on-Avon
“Fabulous home and hosts! De-stressed us and left us wanting more of the same!"
Jon and Carol, Salisbury